If you are currently collecting unemployment and have a mortgage, or you need to catch up on mortgage payments, or know someone in this situation, be sure to look at this site:  http://www.keepyourhomecalifornia.org/   (You can also telephone Keep Your Home California toll free at 888-954-5337.)

Keep Your Home California, the site of the CalHFA Mortgage Assistance Corporation provides information on options available in English and Spanish for mortgage-paying individuals who:

  • currently collect unemployment benefits (Unemployment Mortgage Assistance)
  • cannot catch up on payments (Mortgage Reinstatement Assistance Program)
  • are unable to afford payments at present (Principal Reduction Program)
  • cannot afford any longer to stay in their home (Transition Assistance Program).

These programs are only available to homeowners whose mortgage servicing company agrees to the terms and conditions governing the use of CalHFA MAC funds.  If your servicer is not currently participating in Keep Your Home California, you may want to call them and encourage them to do so.  A homeowner cannot receive assistance if their servicer has not signed an agreement with CalHFA MAC.   Consult this list of participating servicers and which programs they are currently offering:    http://www.keepyourhomecalifornia.org/participating.htm    

Some books on home foreclosure available to you through your Alameda County Library System are:

The homeowner’s guide to foreclosure : how to protect your home and your rights / James I. Wiedemer    New York : Kaplan Pub., c2008         346.73043 WIEDEMER

The foreclosure survival guide : keep your house or walk away with money in your pocket / by Stephen Elias     Berkeley, CA : Nolo, 2008    346.73043 ELIAS

Stop foreclosure now : the complete guide to saving your home and your credit / Lloyd Segal           New York : Amacom, c2007            346.73043 SEGAL